One of the biggest concerns E-mail administrators and users have when they hear about a change of providers and the subsequent migration is what it will mean for them. What will the user’s experience be? Will they be happy with the process or frustrated when it is all said and done?
Here at DakotaPro.biz, we have lots of experience migrating E-mail from other services to our platform. It is a core competency. In some cases, the migration is only a few E-mail boxes and it happens rather quickly. In other situations, we may be moving hundreds or thousands of E=mail boxes and quite a bit of data. No matter what the size of your business, we will make sure the transition is a seamless as possible – both to you and your users. DakotaPro Migration services takes all the worries out of the process!
What DakotaPro E-mail migration will mean to you
- Extremely little downtime in the process. Most of the migration data transfers occur in parallel with normal use. Cut-over is usually off hours to minimize disruption to your users
- Email messages migrated from all IMAP folders
- IMAP flags and dates migrated too
- All accounts migrated – with existing passwords
- NO inbound E-mail is lost during the process
- Usually NO E-mail client changes required
- All domains migrated
- We can migrate from virtually ANY vendor’s mail server - even Exchange!
- Most importantly… most users will not notice the process has completed until they log into the new webmail!
Note: if your existing E-mail server has calendars or contacts, that information will NOT be migrated because it not part of the IMAP protocol. In many cases, this data can be exported by the user and imported to our service via webmail.
Here’s what you can expect from our migration experts
- A project administrator will be assigned on our end. We’ll ask who to coordinate with on your end
- We’ll work with you to develop a project plan. Here, various issues will be discussed and the best course of action determined
- A project calendar will be set in place
- Decision will be made whether to use “bulk” or “smart-proxy” migration
- Regular communications
One of the main criteria for choosing “bulk” migrations vs. ”smart proxy” is whether you know all the E-mail accounts and passwords for your users. If you do, a bulk migration is usually preferable. However, if you do NOT know their usernames and passwords, then we will use the smart proxy approach. Both migration strategies will get the job done, but they have some differences outlined below:
|All users are migrated at the same time. This makes it easier to target communications to users.||Must know all accounts and passwords or be wlling to reset them all (not recommended)|
|Minor downtime is domain-wide and can be scheduled off hours.|
Case example: We migrated 300+ user accounts on one domain with 10 Gig of E-mail. We did most of the heavy lifting over a weekend and they we had a minor (40 minutes) final migration downtime early Monday morning (i.e. 3am). When everyone came to work, everything was moved over and they were happy!
Smart Proxy Migrations
|Used when you don’t know all accounts and passwords||Must run for many days until all/most users login to their E-mail account|
|Automatic information gathering||Some users or accounts may be left behind unless managed|
|Completely transparent to users, although they can see a minor delay the first time they use the migration process||If we are moving a large domain, this is not the preferred method because we cannot control when everyone initiates their migration. On some E-mail servers, we have seen there be load issues – for example 8am Monday morning is a good time to be doing smart proxy migrations!|
Case example: We had an E-mail administrator who wanted to use the smart proxy method. He supported 50 or so users. We ran the proxy method for 10 days. Most users didn’t notice that things were being moved. Finally, after 10 days, we reset the passwords on approx 7 accts who had not logged in and forced the final migrations. The Customer reported everyone was very pleased with the process!
Regardless of method, we maintain migration logs and will monitor the process to ensure a successful outcome. Let DakotaPro.biz take the worry out of migrating your user’s E-mail!
|email_migrator2.jpg||Screenshot of DakotaPro migration tools||2012-10-31||31 KB|